The Bold, The Beautiful, Magnolia Cemetery

It was a hot, sticky, Monday evening, when my class and I visited Magnolia Cemetery. We all had taken taxis, so I assumed that if this place was that far that it had to be something special. I had heard so much about this place, but I knew very little. Me being the foolish girl I am, I had mistaken it for the Magnolia Gardens and boy was I wrong.

Confederate Monument.



With it's long flowing rivers and flowers at every turn, this place was beautiful. I had underestimated it and every picture I saw didn't even bare to do it justice. Spanish moss hung itself off the trees, as the leaves danced its way in between graves. 

This cemetery happened to be the most over the top place I have ever been to. With headstones sculpted by the hands of artists and confederate flags blowing in the wind, over the graves of dead soldiers, I knew where I was.  Magnolia Cemetery, happened to be not only the most historic graveyard I had ever been to, but the most important people were laid to rest here.


When we first walked through the cemetery gates, there were paths separating each headstone. While some went all out having monuments worshipping them, others seemed to be nonchalant. No matter where you looked the headstones were, competing with one another. They all had one thing in common though, they all had a story to be told.

graveyard
It was a hard decision to make, but I decided to share with you some of my favorite headstones. While many of them caught my eye, I couldn't help but want to know the people beneath them.  The rest still deserved to be shown to the rest of the world so here they are. 

Pictured to left, of this is an image of a monument. Although I don't exactly know who it belongs to, it reminds me a lot of a castle and victorian type styles. With an angel in the middle holding her hand up ,while another holds a cross. Surrounding the angel are crosses and listed on the front are the words, "To our son."
Sarcophogus

Pictured to the left, is an image of a sarcophagus. The man laid to rest here goes by the name of James Conner. He lived from September 1st 1829 to June 26, 1888. Prior to his death, he happened to be an attorney general and practiced law. He had fought in several wars, upon which he broken his leg and in another he was shot and had to have it amputated.





Pictured to the right is the grave of an infant baby girl named Rosalie Raymond.  She was the daughter of Blake Leigh and Rosemary Raymond White. She happened to be the second daughter that her parents had lost. Sadly baby Rosalie only lived from January 27, 1882 to September 5, 1882. Her grave was lovely, with the face of an infant child and flowers and toys are in the flower bed. Although it seems kind of scary to have the stone carving of an infant child in a graveyard, it happens to be quite immaculate. 

Lastly, before I leave you I want to share several personal images of my own. For those of you reading who may never go to this graveyard on your own, I hope you have enjoyed reading about my class field trip.
Class Photo 2019



A sweet goose

Pictured to the left is a class photo of me and my beyond the grave class. (can you spot me I look super duper awkward) 





To the above right is an image of a beautiful goose who decided to be my candid for the evening. Until next time Tanderanians, be safe out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Keep Me Down To Earth

My heart stopped, as the sun shined down on me and the Unitarian Church Graveyard. The wonderful scent of flowers wafted into my nose, as be...

#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto !important;} #header-inner {text-align:center !important;}