The bold and the beautiful: the mystery about Elizabeth Jackson


Elizabeth's words to her son.
As we made our way down the wet steps of the Robert Scott Smalls building, I couldn't help but to think of what would be waiting for us beneath them.

My professor had told us that the headstone of Elizabeth Jackson was here on OUR very campus and all I could think was is it true? I knew very little about Mrs. Jackson, besides that she was the mother of the 7th U.S. president. So we ventured out, leaving our classroom to go to the front of the building to see what was left of her. Once we approached the headstone I felt bewildered, I had walked past this marker everyday and I
had not once noticed it.

College of Charleston Flag. 
Mrs. Jackson was a brave soul because she not only migrated from Ireland, but she put her life on hold for those fighting against the British in the Revolutionary War .

 Elizabeth had relieved the prisoners from the British, and took care of those that were ill. She had given them her all, until her last dying breath. Now I bet you are wondering, "What does that have to do with why her headstone is on your campus?" A part of me was wondering the same thing until I did the research.

According to the, "Post and Courier",  there was a newspaper article calling for those to honor Mrs. Jackson in the correct way. Which is exactly what they did. My school wasn't the only location that had a marker for her, there happened to be several monuments honoring her existence. For instance, the United States Military, Daughters of the American Revolution, and lastly the Old Waxhaw Cemetery.

So if you are wondering if she is actually buried here?  The answer is no. According to sources no one exactly knows where she is buried including her son Andrew. He spent the rest of his life searching for her grave and died without knowing. I hope those of you reading took interest in this and learned a little about American history. Until next time Tanderanians stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Keep Me Down To Earth

My heart stopped, as the sun shined down on me and the Unitarian Church Graveyard. The wonderful scent of flowers wafted into my nose, as be...

#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto !important;} #header-inner {text-align:center !important;}